Friday 2 March 2012

Becoming a digital learning imprasario

In addition to my course work and crazy life I took on a new challenge and I am glad I did.  Our district has recently launched a huge opportunity for teacher librarians to become tech leaders within our schools.
There was an invitation sent out to teacher librarians to voluteer as digital coaches.  As a digital coach we would each recieve an ipad.  I volunteered and was selected.  Twenty five of us were invited to an ipad boot camp at the Apple headquarters in Richmond and given ipads.  We were to go off with our ipads and learn as much as we could in order to be a support person.  The next phase was an invitation to all teacher librarians to attend a dinner session about ipads and they too would also recieve ipads.  The digital coaches were there to support the new recruits.
This has been a huge learning curve in using the technology but also has been a tremendous door opening opportunity.  I am now on the 'techie committee' at school as I am now deemed to be in the know.  The tech. facilitator in the school suggested the big re-org in the library to facilitate greater use of the ipad. Additionally, I now have teachers coming to me to seek advice regarding the technology.  I am amazed how one little piece of technology has changed my role.
I truly applaud my district leaders for recognizing the power of this tool and the impact it will have on the way students and staff will be seeking information.  I feel fortunate to be in on the ground floor as we navigate our way into one of the new trends in the techie world.

No comments:

Post a Comment